Have you considered hosting a Facebook event to promote yourself as an author?
8 author buddies and I did just that.
Today I’m sharing how we did it and 8 essential steps for hosting a wildly successful FB book event.
This happened last spring, but our event is still on FB so you can scroll through the amazing posts: Escape to France: Travel Tips from Authors Living in France. To be honest, some sort of magic happened during our event. It wasn’t a shouty-grab-my-book-NOW bargain-basement event, more of a beautiful timeless peek inside our experiences of living in France with something of true value we shared for free. We created a special #FREE ebook of our favorite tips and places to visit during your trip to France (via armchair or actual plane). It was a way to share our personalities, our other published works, plus our love of France!
Here is the free ebook we made – go on download it:
For many of us, it was our first time hosting such an event and it was a blast! We shared stories, photos, our takes on Paris/regions of France, learned new tips from each other, and enjoyed the comments from everyone joining us. One avid reader was with us the entire 9 hours(!). I volunteered to host the midnight hour to be able to chat with friends in New Zealand, Australia and… my husband who was in Brazil for work.
As it was literally “midnight in Paris,” I shared atmospheric photos of Paris from so many years living in the City of Light. It made me quite nostalgic as we’d moved 30 kilometers west of Paris by then so I got to re-live my decade inside Paris’s city walls. It also made me blurry the next day as I was up until 2 a.m. on a Sunday night with young kids to get to school (and a hubby in Brazil for 10 days!).
Totally worth the Monday morning coffee overdose though.
We also shared news of upcoming books that have since launched (this was May 2015, after all). I was so excited to talk about Xamnesia: Everything I Forgot in my Search for an Unreal Life – my travel memoir about working for oil-rich billionaires during my twenties, which was about to release (I was finalizing book files to launch one month later).
Xamnesia has been out for over one year now and my other book, Triumph: Collected Stories became an Amazon bestseller in Australian & Oceanian Literature since this event. I sure didn’t expect that!
8 Essential Steps for Your Authors’ Facebook Event:
- Find at least half a dozen other authors to collaborate with and pick a theme that works for your books.
- Decide exactly what copy each author should write. Download our free ebook to see ours. It is a 52-page book!
- Ask everyone to submit their copy with a strict, early deadline so it can be edited and formatted, including all necessary links and images. It has to look professional so use Canva or Indesign to create something of beauty.
- Hope that one or two in your group are savvy enough to edit and format your free ebook so there’s no cost. Be extra sweet/give an extra page in the ebook to these folks for their time and energy!
- Get everyone to invite everyone they know.
- Divvy up the time slots so one author is responsible for an hour each. An hour passes quickly so remind everyone to: think about what they’ll share, pre-write mini posts, prep their photos, and hook up a mailing list for potential subscribers so they don’t miss out on meeting new potential fans.
- Help each other by commenting and adding info when needed during the event. Sometimes people ask questions one of you can answer. Collaborating with the other 8 authors was fantastic and made our event so successful.
- Keep reminding people to download the free ebook and subscribe to everyone’s mailing lists. (Here is my mailing list, where you can join my “family” and receive a fantastic free bonus story about the remote island I grew up on.) We all saw new subscribers and met superfans. It was a fantastic way to give existing readers an inside look into us as authors and to engage with new readers who liked our theme (books about France or travel to France). Plus it feels great to share resources for free with people around the world.
- Follow up by sharing the event page as much as you like… forever!
Let me know in the comments if you are inspired to host an author event on Facebook and I’ll be sure to attend to support you.